How they voted
Carlsbad City Council Meeting Summary
The Carlsbad City Council met at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, May 14, at City Hall, 1200 Carlsbad Village Drive, to consider an agenda that includes the following items. This summary is provided as a public service and is not considered an official record of the meeting.
For the official action agenda of this meeting, agendas for upcoming City Council meetings, live and archived webcasts, and minutes of previous meetings, visit the city’s website at http://www.carlsbadca.gov/cityhall/meetings/Pages/meeting-videos.aspx
. City Council meetings are broadcast on the city’s cable channel (Time Warner 24/126 and AT&T 99) live and replayed throughout the week.
Closed session– The City Council convened a special meeting prior to the regular meeting to discuss the following items:
GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54957.6. –The Council held a closed session to discuss employer-employee relations, salaries, salary schedules and compensation in the form of fringe benefits of its employees represented by CCEA, CPOA, CFA and CPMA with designated staff as labor negotiators (Julie Clark, Human Resources Director, Debbie Porter, Senior Management Analyst, Cheryl Gerhardt, Human Resources Professional and Steve Berliner, Liebert Cassidy & Whitmore).
Consent Calendar (Items are considered routine and are approved without discussion with one motion, unless removed from the consent calendar.) The Council took the following actions:
- Approved Amendment No. 6 ratifying, extending and amending the Agreement with Tiburon, Inc. for computer automated system support services.
- Approved Amendment No. 7 ratifying, extending and amending the Master Support Agreement with Tiburon, Inc. for computer automated system support services.
- Initiated proceedings for the annual levy of assessments, ordered the preparation of an engineer's report, approved the engineer's preliminary report for Street Lighting and Landscaping District No. 1; and, set a public hearing for June 25, 2013.
- Initiated proceedings for the annual levy of assessments, ordered the preparation of an engineer's report, approved the engineer's preliminary report for Street Lighting and Landscaping District No. 2; and, set a public hearing for June 25, 2013.
- Established new general and management classification specifications in the Information Technology Department, amended the general employees’ salary schedule; and, amended the Conflict of Interest Code to add the classification of Business Intelligence Architect.
- Accepted bids and awarded the contract for the MUTCD Street Name Sign Replacement Program to S&B Engineering, Inc.
- Approved Amendment No. 1 amending the Professional Services Agreement with Stack Traffic Consulting, Inc. for staff support for traffic signal operations and equipment procurement.
Departmental and City Manager Reports:
North County Branding Program – The City Council approved the North County Branding Program Memorandum of Understanding, authorized the City Manager to execute the Memorandum of Understanding; and, authorized the funding and appropriation of said funds to the City of Vista for the City's share of the North Star Services agreement.
Approve appeal regarding Gunther’s Retail – The City Council approved an appeal and overturned the decision of the Planning Commission to deny a conditional use permit to convert up to 1,359 square feet of warehouse and office area to a retail use for the sale, transfer, and storage of firearms and firearm-related products within the Planned Industrial Zone on property located at 2717 Loker Avenue West, Suite B, in local Facilities Management Zone 5; and, directed the refund of appeal fees.
Capital Improvement Program budget report – The City Council received a presentation on the Capital Improvement Program budget and set a public hearing for June 11, 2013.
The next regular meeting of the Carlsbad City Council is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Tuesday, May 28 at City Hall, 1200 Carlsbad Village Drive.